Thursday, October 12, 2006
Inspiring solutions for the design and management of the built environment was the theme of this year's NeoCon East, held at the Baltimore Convention Center October 11-12, 2006. Several bfi personnel had the opportunity to attend this year's event. We saw some really great new products. Here are a few photos from the show.
The award-winning Leaf personal light is available for order.
The Leaf personal light uses innovative LED technology to bring the human touch to lighting. Designed by Yves Behar of fuseproject in San Francisco, Leaf lets the person manage lighting intensity, color, and on/off by simply touching the intuitive controls. Sleek, energy-efficient, and very adjustable, Leaf is designed for the office and living areas. It is a cool and compelling way to illuminate work or set a mood.
- Spirited Design. The upper and lower blades are thin and sculptural, giving the light an organic form. To coordinate with a variety of settings, there's a choice of finish colors: black, white, red, nickel, and polished.
- Innovative Technology. Leaf uses 20 light-emitting diodes (LEDs) for illumination. Ten chips are blue-white (cool), and 10 are yellow-white (warm). The heat-dissipating design keeps the light cool to the touch without a fan.
- Personal control. The light turns on and off with just a touch. Slide a finger along a groove in the base to adjust intensity and achieve the desired blend of warm and cool light. The on/off button gently glows so it's easy to touch in the dark. When turned off, the light retains the previous color/intensity setting when it's turned back on.
- Very Adjustable. To direct light where needed, the lower blade rotates 180 degrees and pivots 27.5 degrees forward and 23 degrees backward. The upper blade pivots 210 degrees so it can be extended for direct lighting or folded for subtle, ambient lighting.
- Energy efficient. Leaf uses 8-9 watts of power, 40 percent less than a compact fluorescent bulb. It allows up to 100,000 hours of use, which is eight times longer than conventional light sources.
- Personal control. When turned on, the light retains the previous color and intensity settings.